Wednesday, June 11, 2008

relatively speaking...

the inaugural post.

the obligatory explanation of this blog: to share with anyone who is interested about my life in ecuador. i'm moving to quito on june 28th, where i will teach english, travel the continent, and attempt to learn to speak spanish with some sort of fluency. could get interesting.

why relatively speaking?

well, i'm pretty sure there is going to be a lot of relativity in the next year of my life. i'll have a relative idea of where i am, relatively know how to ask for something, have some sort of relative plan for my future, and have reasons for moving abroad that are relatively applicable to that plan.

the decision to move abroad, for me, did not make complete sense. but i never really was one for logic (i'm a feeler rather than a thinker - thank you, briggs-meyers). over the years, i've noticed a pattern in the way God works in my life: he shows me the next step, maybe the next few steps, if i'm lucky. i just can't see the whole road. and i like the adventure of not knowing what's next. it keeps life interesting and faith active. a familiar phrase comes to mind:

the heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.

so, i'll happily let my plans be relative, and pray that the Lord will establish each and every one of my steps.


“It's like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.” -E.L. Doctorow

1 comment:

Mary Virginia said...

I love that verse and it often comes to my mind these days. I am really excited for your adventure, and, though I don't know you that well, look forward to following along as the Lord leads you. Have so much fun!